4.1K views

Update by user Mar 01, 2013

To those saying it is only for dogs, I bought this from my VET. She gave me two doses for my cats and one for my dog.

The cats doses are marked FOR CATS. They are different colors.

Come on, I was upset because my 15 year old cat was in distress, but I know how to read. This also ain't my first 15 year old cat, I've been to a few rodeos.

Update by user Feb 28, 2013

I am not perfect but I'm no liar, either. I did what most people suggested and washed the Vectra off my cat with warm water and a dot of Dawn liquid.

I also TOOK HER TO THE VET! He confirmed her peeing issue was because of a urinary tract infection, NOT the Vectra. He could not say why she lost her appetite suddenly and for so many days, but I am happy to say she is living to sing another day.

Will I use Vectra 3D again? Probably not on her.

Original review posted by user Feb 17, 2013

Fleas have been such an issue in the South last few years. My dog is suffering worse of all, so I went to vet 10 days ago to get flea control meds.

I have 2 cats, age 5 & 15, and a dog, age 8. My 15 year old cat is now DYING BECAUSE OF VECTRA 3D! I gave it to her 10 days ago, in 2 days, I noticed her peeing on the bed and crying like it hurt her. This had NEVER happened before.

I quickly washed the area where I had applied the meds. She has not eaten now for 3 days. She has stopped meowing (Morticia has always been a singer). My 5 year old cat seems fine after treatment.

But I am about to lose my cat because I gave her flea medicine. Maybe it's a good product for a small population of cats, but it should NOT be used on older cats, AT ALL!

My cat is dying because of this product. I tried to contact Vectra's customer service, got a voice mail, cannot find an email to contact.

Review about: Ceva Animal Health Flea Control.

Comments

While it is logical that an animal could become sick or poisoned by a chemical or insecticide like Vectra which has been applied to its body, I was upset by the woman who wrote that she had applied the Vectra 10 days before, and that her cat was having urinary problems and was dying on her bed, when all she had done was to try to wash the Vectra off and call the manufacturer. Why had she not taken the animal to the veterinarian and why was it not hospitalized in order to save it?

However, I have always tried to take precautions as much as is possible, in order that my cat will not ingest Vectra, or any other topical flea preventative, upon application. First, everyone should understand that flea preventatives should never be applied to a cat or dog following a bath, as their skin would be too open and porous to the applied chemicals: at the least one could get a bloody rash. I once heard a first-hand story of two cats dying after a cheap flea preventative was applied to them immediately following a bath (that product was also recalled by the FDA as dangerous, around 2006 or thereafter). It's because of the same principle that women's permanents are given without washing one's hair.

To prevent my cat from ingesting as much of the flea preventative as possible, I shave an area for application near the shoulder blades a few days before (so the skin won't be irritated at the time of application), and after application, my cat wears an elizabethan collar for the day, until the area is as dry as it can be (though the area will still seem to appear slick and shiny), and I trim any hair that seems to retain a shiny, wet residue. Sometimes, after the area has had a day exposed to the air so it can dry, I'll put a light cotton coat on the cat to prevent licking. And people should be aware that while a cat cannot reach its shoulder blade area easily, that it will reach the area with its paws, and then lick the chemical off the paws; the cat will also try to pull down its fur and flexible skin to lick the area of application.

Its probably common for applications of chemicals to cause at least some sensation on their skin, if not a slight burning or irritation ot at least a tingling (it leaves a sensation on my fingers), so they try to clean off the area. People should prevent such ingestion of any applied topical chemicals, as much as they can.

Cary, North Carolina, United States #1225579

So, I feel like this post was sooo long ago I'm wasting my time, but I can't help it. I'm a veterinary technician, at a clinic that sells Vectra.

Vectra 3D is a product only made for dogs that contains permithrin's that are toxic to cats.

Now, the makers of Vectra make a product for cats, just called vectra, that is safe for cats. So, if it is truly,vectra 3D you are applying, please, switch veterinarians.

Vectra is safe for cats...it is the Vectra 3D that should not be used on cats

I have used Vectra on cats of all ages with no ill results whatsoever, but have been told to stay away from the Vectra 3 D as that is supposed to be for dogs only.

Neosho, Missouri, United States #851648

It's amazing to me that some people states that they read the label then apply it on their animals. It says "do not apply to aged animals"

#721936

pain w urination is a sign of a urinary tract infection

I'm afraid our cat owner here is angry because her cat is ill, and is lashing out at the nearest thing she can find to be the culprit. Our cats have had vectors for years with no ill affects, and they ar both seniors.

to Patches #1448109

I wrote a paragraph a few minutes ago, about how I try to prevent my cat from ingesting Vectra or any topical flea preventative, upon application. It is conceivable that if an owner allows their cat to excessively lick off a newly applied topical flea preventative, that the ingested chemicals could effect the kidneys, bladder, and urination.

And the kidneys of cats can easily be destroyed buy chemicals, poisons, even antibiotics, especially in older cats. One cat may require a specific antibiotic for an infection, and do well, but the same antibiotic may shut down the kidneys in a 2nd cat- I had this happen with a brother and sister. Unfortunately, a product may be OK for one cat, and have ill effects in another. I would keep an open mind about the people who claim a product has had ill effects on their pet.

I believe that some ill effects come from the cat ingesting a chemical product which is not meant to be ingested. The kidneys of cats can easily be damaged and destroyed by substances they ingest. Use an Elizabethan collar at the least, the day of the topical application, until it can dry- even then, the cat can still use its paws or pull its fur down to ingest the product when its reportedly dry. Maybe once the product has had the time to disperse in the skin and dry on the hair, the cat's hair which has traces, could be clipped.Incidently, Vectra Is an insecticide and is governed by the EPA, and not the FDA.

The alternative to not using a flea preventative- are fleas, and they can have serious consequences- they carry tape worms for one.

And if a long haired cat is bitting and licking itself because of fleas, it can ingest significant amounts of hair to suffer a digestive system blockage. My Vet recommends Vectra over the other topicals.

Walling, Tennessee, United States #652305

You are not suppose to use Vectra on cats!! The poor thing!

I am glad your cat is ok,but your vet is a uneducated fool and not to be harsh,but as a responsible pet owner you should research a product before applying it ion your pet.

If you were to of took the time out to view their website you would of saw the warning . It tells you to not even allow your cat around a Dog who has Vectra on them!

I am a Dr and wanted to let you know there is most likely something else going on with your cat and this is just by coincidence. First off, Vectra is a topical and doesn't go into the blood stream of any animal.

It only sits on the skin. If you are that concerned you can use a detergent (dawn) to strip the produ t off your feline. Sorry about you pet, but I can guarantee its not the Vectra.

The 2 products in vectra for cats are dinotefuran and pryoproxifin which are 2 VERY widely used products for several several years, not just in Vectra!

Best of luck!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States #621308

Not really sure why you were using on cat as the 3d is made for dogs and all warnings say not to use on cats....

My leaflet states EXACTLY this:

HOW TO APPLY:

1. USE ONLY ON DOGS. DO NOT USE ON CATS OR OTHER ANIMALS.

However it's not working on my 10 pound Yorkie.

FYI -

Just read Vectra's website; it says "Do not use Vectra 3D on cats."

Portland, Maine, United States #615867

Vectra is a non-systemic drug and is a wonderful and safe product for both cats and dogs. Likely somehting else going on with this pet.

shiredogbriar
to Dr. B Greenville, South Carolina, United States #616016

You were right, she has a UTI. However, there are a lot of scary comments about Vectra 3d on here. I will try something different next time.